Friday, July 8, 2011

#4: I LIKE TO MOVE IT MOVE IT [070711]

SAID IT QUITE A NUMBER OF TIMES, THIS SUMMER IS PROBABLY THE SUCKIEST ONE I HAD, BUT GOTTA SAY THAT THERE WERE A FEW THINGS THAT DEFINITELY AFFECTED ME IN A BIG WAY. SINCE I'D LIKE TO KEEP THIS SITE SEMI-PERSONAL, I WILL NOW BLOG ABT SOMEIN THAT IS KINDA PROFESSIONAL-RELATED :)

07 June 2011 : LASALLE College of the Arts [15 Minutes]
Met Suhana Zainal at Blackhole where she gave me an E-Ring. Went to 15 Minutes for lunch. A while later Sarah "Ninjawhee" arrived and we gave her her birthday presents. She then asked us to make a rap about ketchup, which we all passed the chance. She then treated us cake. She peeled of the stickers and pasted it in her sketchbook, before opening the box of chocolates I gave her and finding a picture of this puppy with a man's eyes on this other side. Had a funny time making "meaning" out of it. Haha.







Around 1900 more people started trickling in, and we signed up for our slot. A group of 3 other ladies sat around us so we decided to share a table. Asked each other "Are you performing?.", and enjoyed the performances of the Moving Words Open Mic.

Sarah went up first, and she performed with a guitar. Followed by Suhana with 2 of her writings. Had to wait a bit and it went past 2100, so I pretty much thought that I wasn't going to be up. The stand-in host came over and asked if I was from Ekamatra, which I wasn't and which I find rather refreshing because I have never and did not really expect to come off that way. Anyway, got to know about poetry slams and before I was prepared, my name was called.

The applause was decent with some cheering from strangers. I walked through the middle and one-legged hopped onto the stage, and for a moment it was awkward until I reached the microphone and picked it off the stand [as usual, too high].

I greeted but no one said hi back, so I introduced myself and my piece. I pretty much rushed through my recital and didn't really follow word-by-word, but it was quite a successful one in my opinion for a rookie's debut.

A few others performed, before the event was closed with Mr Alvin's [the main host] pieces. Actually, the main "reason" why I wanted to post this was to confess a self-realization.

After I performed, Mr Alvin said "thank you for waiting" which wasn't much of big deal to me [plus it was worth it] and Suhana commented that my performance was rather "composed", to which Sarah agreed.

I find it very interesting. It's strange how some people dislike waiting and wanting to go first to 'get it over and done with', because I would rather spend time to center myself and play it over in my head until I can't anymore. The nervousness rises as every moment pass, but at the same time, I feel more capable.

It is also interesting how some people get onstage and they immediately start to be a bit less confident. I find that the only time when I'm truly 'together' is when I am onstage. I guess it's a matter of crowd, some people get daunted. Personally I just be as sincere and deliver as best as I can, so I suppose it's like 'I-am-here-and-would-like-to-share-something-I-think-you-would-like' and that's just it?.

I suppose knowing that the audience want to see you succeed and put on a good show is good enough of a motivation for be to be confident and just bare all. Also helps I'm not really being judged or anything, haha. I might write a poem about this in the near future.

So I did my "If Words Could Move" piece, and got quite some positive response about it :) Major thanks to everyone who cheered/clapped/listened/watched/cared!~ ^^ \m/

These are from Movingwords.sg themselves. They didnt allow embedding, so the video's below. They didn't catch my awkward leap-to-stage and introduction but it's pretty good. Check it out and thank you~~ :)


EZT S8 - If Words Could Move




The moment I jumped onstage, I miss Parkour.
The moment my feet slid across the stage, I miss Dance.
The moment I accidentally articulated my consonants, I miss Beatboxing.
The moment the words come out of my mouth, I miss Rapping.
The moment I went slightly off pitch, I miss Singing
The moment the audience laid eyes on me, I miss Presenting.
The moment I saw the audience, I miss Performing.
The moment I hear the applause, I miss Music.
The moment I leave, I miss Events.

SO YEAH. I DON'T THINK I HAVE EVER FELT THIS LONGING FOR SUCHA LONG TIME. FANCY THAT IT CAME NOW, AT SUCHA TIME. ANW, I WILL UPLOAD MORE PHOTOS/VIDEOS WHEN THEY'RE READY TO BE OUT. MEANWHILE ALL THE PHOTOS HERE ARE FROM SUHANA, EXCEPT FOR THE 1ST ONE :)





TALKING ABOUT LONGING, BIGBANG'S SEUNGRI WILL BE IN TOWN FOR A SHOW IN A WEEK'S TIME. I REALLY HOPE I CAN MEET MY COSMIC TWIN. NOT AS A FAN, BUT A REAL INDIVIDUAL. SURELY IT ISN'T THAT DIFFICULT, RIGHT?.

THANK YOU FOR READING, HAVE AN AWESOME DAY. :)


EZT S8.

No comments: